What will be the first organization in the world to establish a Behavioral Project Science Unit?
In 1972, the United States FBI established their Behavioral Science Unit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_Science_Unit). Now, mind you, it was focused on the psychology of criminals. However, it was the first time the organization really formally recognized the psychology of the people they were dealing with.
In 2010, the United Kingdom founded their Behavioural Insights Team, sometimes called the Nudge Unit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioural_Insights_Team). This team focuses on applying behavioral science to government policy.
In 2015, the United States formed the Social and Behavioral Sciences Team (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_and_Behavioral_Sciences_Team), also with an emphasis on improving the implementation of government policy across multiple federal agencies. The team is now dissolved due to a change in administration, but made some great progress on efforts.
McKinsey & Company also reported great strides in organization improvements for private organization Behavioral Science Teams, which they state in their article here: https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/organization/our-insights/lessons-from-the-front-line-of-corporate-nudging
Why don't we have behavioral science teams for project management yet?
That is the purpose of this page. What are your ideas or suggestions for implementation of a Behavioral Project Science Unit?
- What organization would be the best place to start?
- What is the best industry?
- What challenges would need to be overcome?
- What organizations are especially innovative?
- Are organizational leaders ready for this next phase of project management?
- What other questions should we be asking?
- Would highly predictive or highly evolutionary projects benefit most?
- Do you see a place for a Behavioral Project Science Unit in your own organization?
Let us know your thoughts!
Join your peers and become a member of the most advanced project management endeavor, the building of #projectscience through the neuro, behavioral, and cognitive sciences! Behavioral Economics has made great strides, so what are we waiting for?